Logo Facoltà di Scienze Agrarie e Alimentari UniversitÓ degli Studi di Milano foto
FacoltÓ di Scienze Agrarie e Alimentari UniversitÓ degli Studi di Milano
contatti    cerca    mappa   
Food quality and safety - unit 1: quality management
Code: G290EA
Teacher:  Vera Agnese Lavelli
Year: 
Term: 
CFU: 
CFU subdivision: Lectures: 4
Basic aims:  Knowledge of the terms related to quality, risk, traceability, and management, and of the related mandatory and voluntary normative references. Application of tools and techniques for risk assessment, risk management, process, product and system verification. Students will learn to build a control plan to guarantee the quality and safety of food. Case-studies will be analyzed.
Acquired skills:  Skills: Mapping food processes, food supply-chain, and food lots by flow-sheets; identification of critical control points; verification planning (monitoring, review and validation). Prevention and control of microorganism growth during food process and distribution. Elaboration and review of sampling plans.
Course contents:  1.Terms and definitions related to food safety, food quality, food traceability, and system management. Normative references (regulatory and voluntary) in the food industry. 2. System and product certification in the food industry. 3. Risk analysis, QFD, cause and effect diagrams, verification tools. 4. Management systems: case studies analysis on implementation of UNI EN ISO 9001 and UNI EN ISO 22005.
Program:  1. Terms and definitions Food quality: analytical and dynamic models. Food safety and risk chain. Traceability in agrofood industries and in agricultural food chain. Management systems: the PDCA model of Deming. 2. Certification in the food system The evolution of quality management: from product verification to integrated management systems. A framework for certification: general principles, normative references and organizations involved. 3. Quality management systems Introduction to UNI EN ISO 9001. Case study analysis: management responsibility, strategic and operative objectives, provision of resource, planning and realization of product, verification, validation, system review and improvement, documentation. 4. Agricultural food chain traceability systems Introduction to UNI EN ISO 22005. RF and RFP schemes. Case study analysis: relevant steps for product identification, traceability procedures, simulation of withdrawal of lots of end products. 5. Tools and techniques Flow-sheets for supply-chain, process, and lot mapping. Lay-out. Risk analysis. Quality function deployment. Cause- and effect- diagrams. Check lists. Note: Case study analysis is focused on a model food industry, in order to evidence the relationship among food safety, food quality and traceability. Class room lectures account for 60% of the teaching, and discussions on case studies with students account for the remaining 40%.
Prerequisites:  Basic knowledge on chemical, microbiological and technological aspects on food and food processing is required
Preparatory instructions:  First year exams
Learning materials:  - Peri, C.; Lavelli, V.; Marjani, A. QualitÓ nelle aziende e nelle filiere agro-alimentari, 2004. Hoepli, Milano - Documents available in Ariel
Other info:  The exam consists of a final written test intended to verify: the theoretical knowledge of all the topics of the program, the clarity of presentation and use of appropriate terms, the ability to represent both concepts and procedures using graphical models and the ability to integrate the acquired knowledge for problem solving of a specific case study. Following the written exam, students can request an oral exam.
DOWNLOAD
Program of Food quality and safety - unit 1: quality management (pdf version)
back
  The Faculty
  How to reach us
  Undergraduate programmes
  Courses
  Teaching organization
  LLP/Erasmus for incoming students
  Contacts
UniversitÓ degli Studi di Milano